By Georgia L. Irby
A spouse to technology, know-how, and medication in historic Greece and Rome brings a clean standpoint to the examine of those disciplines within the historic international, with 60 chapters reading those issues from a number of serious and technical perspectives.
- Brings a clean standpoint to the research of technological know-how, expertise, and medication within the historical international, with 60 chapters studying those subject matters from various severe and technical perspectives
- Begins assurance in six hundred BCE and comprises sections at the later Roman Empire and past, that includes dialogue of the transmission and reception of those rules into the Renaissance
- Investigates key disciplines, suggestions, and pursuits in historical technological know-how, know-how, and medication in the ancient, cultural, and philosophical contexts of Greek and Roman society
- Organizes its content material in halves: the 1st specializes in mathematical and usual sciences; the second one specializes in cultural functions and interdisciplinary themes
Read or Download A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set PDF
Similar special topics books
Although it appears in decline through the first half the twentieth century, tuberculosis has reawakened in either constructed and constructing international locations, relatively between vulnerable populations with immunodeficiency problems.
''With the 2010 booklet of Dr. Victor Skretkowicz's Florence Nightingale's Notes on Nursing (Revised with Additions) in Florence Nightingale's (1920-1910) centenary 12 months, nurses and others will realize this striking girl whose commitment and resolution helped to form the process smooth international healthcare and holistic and indispensable relationship-centered care.
The interpreting of ECGs can be really easy in view that cardiac stipulations are characterised by way of general electric styles still, the ECG explanations difficulties to scholar and medical professional alike. Romeo Vecht has assembled into one quantity 350 ECGs, explaining every one intimately, including tables depicting the most recent details on drug administration.
From sickness marker id to speeded up drug improvement, Protein Arrays, Biochips, and Proteomics bargains an in depth evaluation of present and rising tendencies within the box of array-based proteomics. This reference specializes in recommendations in protein microarrays and biochips, mass spectrometry, high-throughput protein expression, protein-protein interactions, structural proteomics, and the proteomic market for entire realizing of earlier, current, and destiny proteomic study.
- Proceedings of Light-Activated Tissue Regeneration and Therapy Conference
- Psychological Trauma and the Legacies of the First World War
- Molecular and Cellular Signaling
- Worse than the Disease: Pitfalls of Medical Progress
- Joint replacement technology, New Developments
Additional resources for A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set
6) I would agree with Winston (1971–1972, 191; cf. May 1994, xi–xiii; Grant 1980, 137): The first explicit formulation of creation ex nihilo appeared in second-century Christian literature. This only became an issue around the end of the first century ce in debates between Christian theologians and Neoplatonist philosophers. On balance, most passages lean towards creation from pre-existing matter without excluding creation ex nihilo. 15. Conclusion There was much discussion of the creation and destruction of the world and much original and sophisticated thought on the topic.
M. 2010. ” Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Humphrey, J. , J. P. Oleson, and A. N. Sherwood. 1998. Greek and Roman Technology: A Sourcebook. London: Routledge. Irby‐Massie, G. L. and P. T. Keyser, eds. 2002. Greek Science of the Hellenistic Era: A Sourcebook. London: Routledge. Jaeger, M. 2008. Archimedes and the Roman Imagination. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. Keyser, P. T. and G. L. Irby‐Massie. 2006. ” In The Cambridge Companion to the Hellenistic World, edited by G. Bugh, 241–264.
Further Reading For ancient theories of creation, see especially David Sedley (Creationism and Its Critiques in Antiquity. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007), and Andrew Gregory (Ancient Greek Cosmogony. London: Duckworth, 2007). Notes 1 For considerable similarities between Hesiod and the Hittite account found on the Kumarbi stone (Gurney 1952, 194; KRS 45–46). Pherecydes (circa 550 bce) is an interesting character, but Aristotle puts him in a different tradition from the philosophical thought of the Milesians (KRS 50–71).
A Companion to Science, Technology, and Medicine in Ancient Greece and Rome, 2 Volume Set by Georgia L. Irby